Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Empty Freeway

I turned up the radio and Lindsey sped along the freeway's curves. The car was perfectly warm and the windows were foggy around the edges because we breathed. We laughed; my favorite song was playing. We were just having fun; it wasn't fair. I lay on sparkling daggers of glass. They looked so beautiful, spread out all around me, until they turned red and started to frighten me. My body was twitching on the freezing freeway, but my mind was still inside the car. The music hurt my ears as I turned up the bass. Why do you drive so far to the right Lindsey? I press my foot to the floor as she accelerates through another turn. We are laughing. Lindsey sings along to my favorite song and her slow, slurred, voice cracks me up. We were have so much fun; it wasn't possible. All the glass is red now, this can't all be mine, where's Lindsey? She's gone. She's left me twisted on the asphalt breathing. While she speeds down another freeway, and another song plays; with her head on the dashboard and she holds her breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers